Ah, autumn. It’s one of the most beautiful times of the year – with rich orange and red leaves carpeting the streets and parks, spiced lattes and cosy nights in-front of the fire what’s not to love? However one of the biggest challenges for many of my clients is dressing for the season.
The ever changing weather (raining one minute and sunshine the next) can make for an interesting time but the turning of the leaves doesn’t have to mean buying a completely new wardrobe. The chances are, you already have the foundation for a great autumn wardrobe in your closet. And by adding a couple of key pieces and wearing your summer staples in different ways you can easily keep your summer favourites going for a while longer.
Here are five of the simplest ways to stretch your wardrobe and make all your old favourites work until winter;
- Wear your summer dresses in rotation by pairing them with ankle boots instead of sandals. Whether you wear an ankle boot or prefer the knee high, boots are simple to throw on and can make any outfit look fab
- Layer up with a longline cardi – not only do they create a lengthening/slimming affect they look great with everything from loungewear to smart trousers and heels
- Add tights to your outfit – they’re a fun way to play with pattern, colour and texture for the autumn. If tights aren’t your thing try leggings instead. They’re perfect to wear under your summery tunics for more coverage
- Use hats and scarves to keep warm on days that are cooler. Hats are always in style and a scarf in a fab colour or pattern can add instance interest to any outfit
- Swap your regular T-shirts for a long-sleeved offering and wear with tailored trousers and trainers for a fun, casual look
- Try a summer skirt worn with a leather jacket or your favourite chunky knit
- Keep a look out for costume jewellery in jewel tones or richer hues – they can all add a pop of autumn appropriate colour without breaking the bank.
What are your go to items as you transition your wardrobe for autumn.